Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 15 - are we there yet? 3/4ths of the way

I'm glad today was Nathan's day to get here.  All of the parents were feeling a little tired of it and ready to go home.  It's been dreary and rainy so this mountains aren't as pretty and inspirational.  Oliver's sleep wasn't amazing but still better than before.  We'll get 6 or 7 hours straight at first, without a cuddle and up at 2 and 6.  The 2nd visit for accupunture hasn't left as much of an impression on me.  Why do some things seem to have an affect (while most don't) and why doesn't it last?

1st Dive/Sound- their sound sometimes sounds so rock-n-roll or nursery rhyme you just wonder what they are listening to! 

I decided not to bother with the morning nap- 40 minutes of effort for a 20 minute nap is kind of crazy. 

2nd Dive/sound- of course he was tired- Elmo isn't working as well even though he has new videos in there.  Maybe he prefers the repetition of some of the old.  He was falling asleep hard during the sound.  I was patting the bottoms of his feet and really messing with him to keep him awake.  At the very end he was standing up facing me and sort of sucking on my arm as he fell asleep despite the fast music.  I usually take my time but I rushed out of there to get him home for a nap.  Of course he perked up in the car for Elmo- I didn't want him to sleep on the way home.  But once I got back he was asleep within 5 minutes.  And then... drum roll please- he slept for a full.... 40 minutes.  haha  So instead of 2 20 minute naps I was rewarded with a 40 minute nap.  Oh well, it was pretty fun to not try for the morning one- we played instead- and it was nice to have him fall asleep so quickly. 

It was raining so I decided not to go anywhere.  We played at the apartment and at the very end of the night I finally put on Elmo to talk to Nathan for a minute and get his bath ready.  Oh my gosh - this bath thing has become Really scary.  He is so upset by them.  But then I had this thought - maybe since I've been teaching him to use his body to move he actually understands now that he can and that is why he's pushing himself out of the tub.  Am I giving him too much credit or does this sound right?  Just trying to find the bright side.  Bedtime wasn't so easy but at least Nathan is on for the midnight shift. 

Behavior Notes- Oliver was really perfecting his "drop the toy for mom to pick up" game which made me happy to see him opening his hand at will and he'll  roll on the edge of the bed and then use his trunk strength (what trunk strength right?) to pull himself towards me and get the arm under his body unstuck to try to use it to push himself towards me- it's a great development.  He is also finding so many new things funny and who isn't motivated by his laugh.  So although I can't say it's oxygen related I bet it doesn't hurt for him to be having the help of the o2 as he's trying to accomplish these new things.  No way to make a comparison but he is certainly making progress pretty quickly while we're here.  It will be very helpful to get the opinions of others once we leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment