Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 6 - Saturday - Ear Problems

This probably explains why he hasn't slept.  Babies have tiny ear canals anyway and they are hard to get to even by force but Oliver's are more than usual so I don't know if they had a very good view until yesterday.  The woman that checked him yesterday and today alerted me about the redness so we picked up the nasonex prescription and started him on additional supplements for his cough/cold.  Today however she was particularly worried about the redness.  She's been in the chamber a lot herself and says that at that stage it's very uncomfortable and sounds are muffled and strange.  I added motrin vics vaporub and a garlic oil ear solution to our treatments and hope that he sleeps better since he needs it to heal himself.  I took a different approach for his acid reflux today and it worked.  He's usually worse when his stomach is empty so I never let it get empty - just kept feeding him a little early and he was doing alright with it.  As a result I think he coughed less.  It will still be a few days before his new reflux medicine really kicks in and also a few days until the nasonex is working fully.  And I thought - heck - since I'm giving the poor child so many medicines anyway I might consider starting back up the valium just so that he gets some sleep.  He can't heal if he doesn't sleep and maybe I was being too perfectionistic to try to get him off the meds before/during all this new stuff.  I hope to still be able to see results of this treatment even if we have to get help for sleep during it. 

Well I had to stop writing to go in for him - just 30 minutes after falling asleep - same as last night.  I'd better get to bed again early in case it's a rough one.

1st Dive- did alright and was cuddly/lethargic afterwards and napped for 40 minutes back at the apartment
2nd Dive- was a little more fussy while the pressure was increasing and again cuddly instead of energetic afterwards.  I've heard people say that for some it makes them really hyped up and other really tired.  I guess he's gone through both now.  He played back at the apartment and then took a small 30 minute nap.

We headed into the town of West Jefferson for baby motrin and he got very upset when I put him in the car.  I think he associates it now with his treatments.  12 treatments out of 40 finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment