Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday- Day Off

When I woke up early this morning I just knew that I had slept for a long time.  In fact, I hadn't moved an inch.  It made me happy to know that Oliver had slept long enough for me to feel such an obvious sense of time.  I checked the clock- it had been a whole 5 hours.  Parenting magazines always ask the question: What was one thing no one told you parenthood would be?  I had no idea how my expectations would change. 

He didn't get enough sleep but he handled it well - and, so did I until nap time.  After 45 minutes of trying and him waking as I set him down I was just plain mad.  Later in the day however karma made up for it. 

We went to Boone for some specific medicines for his ears.  He smells like garlic oil and vics vaporub- the sort of combo you don't usually cuddle with but I still can't help myself.  I found a nice place to sit down for lunch - a daring concept with no nap yet for the day.  He entertained himself for about 20 minutes drinking water from my straw.  We were getting back in time to attempt nap number 2.  When I got out and shut my door and saw him alseep I was shocked but hurried to get him up the huge flight of stairs.  I went straight to his room and put him down in bed and he slept.  (the karma part) I got in my bed to nap but instead daydreamed about what other parents might get: putting a kid down for a nap being just that- you put the kid down for a nap- end of story.  I wasn't jealous but instead felt my anger justified - it's okay that I'm angry or upset, how couldn't I be.  At least I don't take it out on him but it's obviously not his fault.  So that nap only lasted 30 minutes but you can't have it all. 

He was a bit of a grump from then until bedtime.  If the neighbors had been home they might have their own opinions about the amount of grumpiness.  I took him to a place that I thought we could hike.  It wasn't what I thought and the backpack hiker is a bit awkward even on a non-pregnant body.  So I searched the hills for a flat street and we went walking with the stroller.  I had to make up for the ice cream I ate and he wasn't going to tolerate much besides elmo which we had just about maxed out for the day.  After returning to the car we did max out elmo (with video number 4 for the day) while I talked on the phone.  Bedtime now includes this regime of medicines - garlic oil in the ears, motrin, vics on his feet for the cold (which is better although maybe it was allergies and the nasonex is helping that) but he was cute and laughing on an off.

He's been down for 30 minutes now so I'll end this because he might be getting up soon.  I couldn't bring myself to start the valium just yet.  How will I know if the oxygen is helping him sleep if I do?  Another day or so of this and I might be desperate enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment